About the Position
In this role, the Senior Intelligent Transportation Systems Specialist designs, manages, and maintains MCDOT’s Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Wide Area Network (WAN), Local Area Network (LAN), fiber optic, and wireless communications infrastructure. Provides technical deployment, integration, testing, and evaluation of MCDOT ITS systems and devices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Electronics, or a related field
- Four years of related electronics or IT/ITS installation and maintenance experience, OR
- An equivalent combination of post-secondary education and/or job-related experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid Arizona driver’s license by the time of hire
Essential Job Tasks
The tasks listed are a representation and not an all-inclusive list of essential job tasks for this position.
- Prepares, reviews and assesses IT network expansion plans for ITS and provides LAN and WAN network design, integration, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Serves as a lead for the deployment of fiber optic, wireless and cellular communications, field sensors, CCTV cameras, Dynamic Message Signs, traffic signal controller integration, and other ITS telecommunications infrastructure deployment
- Responsible for daily management of Traffic Management Center (TMC) IT domain and related user services including direct and VPN connections to internal and external users of MCDOT ITS. Develops and maintains IP addressing plans for all ITS devices
- Reviews technical reports, proposals, and documents, and assures plans comply with IT technical specifications and system architecture; assists with project scope definition, technical procurement issues, and contract management. Prepares and produces technical reports, proposals, Scopes of Work, and other documents related to management, procurement, and vendors
- Supports IT development through systems and engineering analysis, testing and documentation, database development, and systems support. Deploys, installs, tests, and integrates switches, routers, and other active electronic devices into the network to support wired and wireless communications Design the network configuration and install, test, and integrate firewall, network authentication, and remote access appliances into the network to support the security of the communications system
- Designs and implements TMC hardware virtualization solutions. Provides Connected Vehicle (CV) technology support to advance the MCDOT SMARTDrive ProgramSM. Provides technical operations and maintenance of advanced transportation systems, including traffic signal systems, network communications, closed-circuit television camera infrastructure, and data exchange interfaces as well as new and emerging technologies; assures the reliable operation of the IT infrastructure to provide traffic management, traveler information, and incident response services
- Coordinates between Traffic Maintenance Branch, Traffic Operations Branch, and signal manufacturers support team to troubleshoot and resolve communication problems
- Manages regional traffic network interfaces through planning and coordination support. Responsible for designing, deploying, implementing, and managing the use of wireless, fiber optic infrastructure, twisted-pair copper, leased lines, and cellular modem communications
- Keeps records of system and device operations and work performed. Develops and maintains routine system performance reports. Designs, deploys, integrates, maintains, and upgrades the TMC routers, switches, firewalls, security appliances, and other devices that support the TMC staff
- Trains the TMC staff and provides operational support as needed. Manage consultant tasks and approves invoices. Recommends and evaluates equipment and devices for procurement
Please click here for more information and to apply for this opportunity.